//Visa advantages
Visa advantages 2018-01-08T08:29:42+00:00

Invest in Italy

Travel, live, invest: a visa and a residence permit for you and your family.

Visa advantages

1) Visa for investors and donors

The new entry visa (Article 26-bis Consolidated Law on Immigration) offers many advantages:

  • The holder shall receive an entry visa and a residence permit valid for 2 years. Once expired, the permit is renewable for the next three years. After five years the foreigner resident can apply for a long-term residence permit.

  • The possibility to stay in Italy or run your business from your country without waiting for further permits or visas. Is it also possible to enter other EU countries (Schengen Area) and stay up to 90 days every six months.
  • The family members of investors visa/permit holders can also apply for a residence permit for family reasons. Subjects eligible for this permit are:
    – spouses or partners, not legally separated and over 18. With this residence permit, they will be allowed to work or study in Italy at any level, likewise Italian citizens
    – the minor unmarried children of the investor and of his/her spouse, including children adopted. With this residence permit, they will be allowed to study in Italy at any level, likewise Italian citizens
    – the adult unmarried children of the investor or his or her spouse, where they are objectively unable to provide for their own needs on account of their state of health
    – first-degree relatives in the direct ascending line of the investor or his or her spouse, where they are dependent on them and there are no other sons in the country of origin
    – first-degree over 65 relatives in the direct ascending line of the investor or his or her spouse, when there are no other sons able to take charge of their care due to certified health reasons (Read more…).
  • If interested in moving the fiscal residence to Italy, the investor could get a forfeit tax on the income earned abroad.

2) Visa for self-employment – business owner

A further opportunity for entrepreneurs who want to buy a farm or another company and start a business in Italy

Read more…

General conditions governing the entrance and sojourn of foreign national investors to Italy

Admission onto Italian soil through an external Schengen Area border is only permitted to aliens who:

  1. are in possession of a valid passport or equivalent recognized travel document permitting them to cross the border;
  2. are in possession of documents substantiating the purpose and the conditions of the planned visit and have sufficient means of support;
  3. are in possession of a valid entry visa. The entry visa consists of a sticker placed on a passport or other valid travel document authorizing its foreign bearer to set foot on the soil of the Italian Republic or that of another contracting country for transit or stay, to be evaluated on the basis of the needs associated with the status of international relations and with the defence of national security and the public order. The entry visa for stays of longer than 90 days is called a “National Visa” (NV) and allows long-term residence on the soil of the State that issued it and, as long as it is valid, free circulation for a period of no more than 90 days per half-year on the soil of another Member State;
  4. have not been identified as inadmissible by the Schengen Information System (SIS);
  5. are not considered to be a threat to public order, national security or the international relations of any of the Contracting Parties, under Italian law or the law of another Schengen State.

The sojourn in Italy

Non-EU citizens in possession of a National Visa (NV) for sojourns longer than 90 days are required, within eight (8) days from entry into Italy to request a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) from the Italian authorities, and will be subject to photo/fingerprint registration. Only this residence permit, which is issued for the reason and for the period indicated on the visa, authorizes an alien to sojourn in Italy. Under Schengen rules, the residence permit issued by the Police (Questura) allows aliens, unless express limitations are imposed, entry to and exit from the Schengen area and to travel without restraint for a period not to exceed 90 days in any 6-month period within territories of the other Contracting States, provided that they hold a valid national passport or equivalent travel document. Nevertheless, all aliens are required to report their presence to the police on the soil of any other Schengen State within 3 working days of entry.

Favorable tax break

Starting from 2017 natural persons who move their fiscal residence to Italy can opt for pay taxes on income earned abroad, providing that the interested person, for a period of at least nine years during the ten years preceding the beginning of the option validity, did not reside in Italy, for fiscal purpose. The tax applies to all income, except for capital gains generated from the cession of ‘qualified’ shares held in a company.

The total amount of tax to be paid is EUR 100,000 for each tax period in which the above option is valid, regardless of the income amount actually earned. The amount is reduced to EUR 25,000 for each tax period for each family member who is included in the visa extension. Therefore family members who earn income abroad, with the exception of capital gains generated from the cession of ‘qualified’ shares held in a company, are taxed a total amount of EUR 25,000 instead of EUR 100,000 as the principal applicant.

Subject to a positive response from the Tax Agency, the option must be accomplished within the deadline for the declaration of income concerning the tax period in which the applicant moves his/her residence to Italy and it is operative since that tax period.

The option lasts fifteen years and can be withdrawn by the applicant. In any case, the option is automatically annulled in the case of failure to pay the tax amount entirely or partially. After withdrawal or annulment, a new option cannot be obtained. One or more family members can choose not to exercise the option, by requesting regular taxation of income earned abroad.

Powered by WishList Member - Membership Software